If you depend on the phone number of your customers and use PayPal Express you might have noticed that the addresses on the Shopify order details page usually do not contain the phone number.
By default PayPal Express does not capture the phone number of your customers. You have to explicitly enable this in your account. To do this:
- Login to your paypal account at http://www.paypal.com.
- Click My Account.
- Click Profile.
- On the left side, click My selling tools:
- Under the header Selling online, find “Website preferences”. To the right, click Update.
- Scroll down to fine the section Contact Telephone Number:
- Choose an option for Contact Telephone:
- Selecting On (Optional Field) will add the phone number field to your checkout, but not require it be filled in.
- Selecting On (Required Field) will force every visitor to enter their phone number when checking out.
Requiring a phone number on checkout usually decreases conversions and sales. Many people don’t like to give out that information. Unless you absolutely require the phone number you should chooseOn (Optional Field).